Sleep apnea is sleeping disorder that involves breathlessness during sleeping. This causes a prevention of oxygen to the brain which might prove to be even fatal. The biggest reason for this is that the supply of oxygen to the brain gets hindered which is extremely harmful.
Can Sleep Apnea Be Treated Naturally?
Whereas there are various surgical procedures and devices which cure sleep apnea, the best part is that good news is that sleep apnea can in fact be treated naturally. All it takes is a little courage and a constant supply of determination. Fitness and a constant lifestyle of activity are very important for anyone wishing to treat sleep apnea naturally. Following is a list of all those natural treatments that can help in treating this sleep disorder.
- Weight Loss: According to a study, it is found out that majority of the sleep apnea sufferers are overweight and were cured of sleep apnea immediately after undergoing an aggressive weight loss program suited specially for their bodies. However, while undergoing such a program it is imperative that the advice of your physician as well as the help of a nutritionist be taken.
- Change in Sleep Position: Usually while lying on your back, the tongue tends to fall back towards the throat making an attempt to close the airway shut. However, by changing the sleeping position slightly one can easily avoid a sleep apnea episode. Decrease the number of pillows whilst sleeping as it allows the neck to rest at a more natural angle which in turn helps to keep the airways opened.
- Intake of Vitamins/Minerals: It was found in a study that by increasing the amount of Vitamin D in the body one can completely eliminate the symptoms and even onset of sleep apnea. The usage of Vitamin C has also been known to eliminate the potential threats of any damage which could be caused by sleep apnea.
- Magnesium: The major cause of sleep apnea is the obstruction to the muscles around the throat. A healthy dosage of magnesium is very important for those looking to fight sleep apnea because it tends to keep the muscles healthy.
- Herbal Remedies: Herbs can significantly help sleep apnea sufferers and also those patients suffering from any other sleeping disorder. It is found out that two herbs such as Lavender (Lvandula Angustifolia, Lavandula Officinalis) and California Poppy (Eschscholzia Californica) can help sleep apnea patients.
- Serotonin Precursor 5-HTP: According to a research, it has been fund out that sleep apnea is sometimes also caused by low levels of serotonin in the body. The production of serotonin depends on the intake of magnesium in the body. Hence, it has a direct relationship with a healthy intake of magnesium.
Viability of Natural Treatment – How Effective Are They?
While the above mentioned treatments can help treat sleep apnea and other sleeping disorders naturally, the most important thing to keep in mind is weight management. This is a frightening disorder as it can leave you gasping for air but as long as you take proper care and stick religiously to these prescribed tips and treatment methods you can fight it.